Learn how to cook deep fried food outdoors with this fried southwestern eggroll appetizer. Packed with grilled
red peppers, black beans, and corn, these crunchy eggrolls are a simple but delicious snack or party food to serve at any get-together.
- Start up your Louisiana Grill. Once it’s fired up, set the temperature to 375°F. If you’re using gas or charcoal, set up your grill for low to medium-low heat.
- Place a cast iron pan on your Louisiana Grill to preheat and pour 2 inches of flavorless oil that has a high smoke point, such as vegetable or canola oil, into the pan. You want the oil to be about ½ to ¾ of the way up the sides of the pan and be high enough to completely submerge the eggrolls.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked, chopped chicken, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, diced jalapeño pepper, black beans, corn, red pepper, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, and Sweet Heat Rub. Mix the filling well with a spoon until combined and set aside.
- To prepare the egg rolls, dip your index finger in the dish of water, moisten the edges of the egg roll wrapper, and rotate the wrapper so that the point of the square is facing towards you and the wrapper looks like a diamond. In the center of the egg roll, place ¼ cup of the filling in a line across the wrapper and fold the two center points towards the center of the wrapper. Pinch these together. Pull the top of the wrapper down towards you and tuck the filling into the pocket the wrapper makes. Wrap the rest of the wrapper over the top and pinch to seal. Gently squeeze any remaining air out of the egg roll. Repeat until the filling is used up.
- In a food processor, blend together the avocado and ranch dressing until the dressing is smooth and there are no chunks of avocado left. Spoon the dressing into a bowl.
- Place a temperature probe into the oil and wait until the oil is 350°F. Fry the egg rolls for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and bubbled on all sides. Transfer the fried egg rolls to a paper towel lined baking tray and let the egg rolls drain off any excess oil. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls. Once you’re ready to serve, remove the eggrolls from the paper towel lined baking sheet and serve with the avocado ranch.
Bigger. Hotter. Heavier. Tip
Use the Mesquite Hardwood Pellets. They add an element of spice to the smoky aroma.