The mundane side salad gets a much-needed modern update thanks to grilled beets and smoked goat cheese.
This refreshing and aromatic salad also substitutes carb heavy croutons for nutrient dense slivered almonds. Who says a salad must be bland in order to be healthy?
This grilled beat salad is a wonderful appetizer but can also work as a snack or small meal on its own.
- Start by washing and scrubbing the beets and cutting the tops off of them if they are still attached.
- Use a 9x13 cake pan, pour about 2 tbsp of olive oil into the pan, making sure to coat all sides of the pan. Place beets into the cake pan and pour more olive oil over the top of the beets followed by 1/2 cup of water into the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan with foil.
- Fire up your Louisiana Grill and set the temperature to 350°F. If you’re using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for medium heat. Grill covered beets for 90 minutes or until beets become tender.
- While the beets are being grilled, grab a large mixing bowl and began to make the dressing for the salad. Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, honey, and Champion Chicken Seasoning until it is emulsified. Set this aside for later.
- Remove the beets from the grill and let them cool. Once they’re cool enough, peel the beets and cut them into small pieces. Place the beets back onto your Louisiana Grill in a grill basket and season with more Champion Chicken Seasoning. Grill for another 20 minutes until the beets have a dark purple color to them.
- To assemble the salad, toss the mixed greens with the reserved vinaigrette. Crumble the smoked goat cheese and add it to the salad, along with the almonds and gently toss to mix. Place the salad onto serving dishes and add a few beets on top of each salad. Serve immediately.