Chef Shaun O’Neale (MasterChef Season 7 Champion, DJ, Author of My Modern American Table) serves up his take on
homemade mac and cheese. This Five Cheese Mac and Cheese uses flavorfully rich and nutty cheeses to deliver a tangled
web of delight with each bite. White Cheddar, Gruyère, Brie, Raclette, and mozzarella cheeses are melted together in a
creamy roux. Then it is mixed with pasta and topped with finely chopped bacon and breadcrumbs. Mix with
for a meal on its own or serve alongside your favorite dish for a dinner to remember.
How to Make the Bacon and Breadcrumb Topping
- In a skillet cook the bacon to crispy and transfer to a paper towel lined
plate, once cool chop the bacon as finely as possible.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the skillet and stir to coat with the bacon fat.
Remove from the heat and add the parsley and return the chopped bacon back to the pan.
- Stir well in incorporate, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
and transfer to a bowl until ready to use.
Note: It is recommended to use
Hardwood Pellets with this recipe.
This recipe uses a cast iron skillet. Be sure to
view our collection of cast iron
cookware for sale.
- Heat your Pit Boss Pellet Grill to 350 degrees with the heat shield closed. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions for al dente. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until lightly colored, then add the garlic and the jalapeño and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the butter, and stir until melted. Add the flour and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes to form a light roux.
- Add the cheeses, the milk, and cream, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, until the cheese is melted, and a smooth sauce comes together, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cayenne and truffle oil, then add the pasta and stir to fully coat it in the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place on the grill and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cover the mac and cheese with the breadcrumbs.
- Return to the grill and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve family style right out of the skillet.