A twist on traditional ham rolls, these Hawaiian Roll Sliders with Twice Smoked Ham make for a delicious party appetizer, tailgate, or just a casual lunch. Tender twice smoked ham is sliced and piled high on sweet Hawaiian rolls, then topped with a sweet and zesty grilled pineapple jalapeno relish and melty Swiss cheese. The grilled pineapple and jalapeno relish adds a fresh sweet and spicy bite that will keep you coming back for seconds.
How to Twice Smoke Ham
While this recipe will work with any type of cooked ham, we recommend using twice smoked ham for delicious smoky flavor. In order to twice smoke a ham, you will need to do the following:
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills pellet grill and preheat to 225° F, with the lid closed. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for low heat.
- Using a sharp kitchen knife, slice long slits across the surface of the ham, about ¼” deep, and spaced a ½” apart. Cut lengthwise then widthwise, creating a “diamond-cut” appearance.
- Rub preferred seasoning over ham and place ham directly on the grill grate. Close grill cover and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Transfer ham to cast iron pot and pour stock over ham then cover with aluminum foil. Increase grill temperature to 300° F and place the skillet on grate. Close grill cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the ham from the grill and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
WOOD PELLET RECOMMENDATION
We recommend using New England Apple Hardwood Pellets
with this recipe. The light, sweet aromas of Apple will blend nicely with the Hawaiian flavors.
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills pellet grill and preheat to 350° F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for medium heat.
- Coat jalapeno peppers lightly with olive oil, then transfer to preheated grill with pineapple. Open the Sear Slide and grill peppers over direct flame. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side then transfer to a cutting board.
- Let peppers and jalapeño cool slightly then chop finely and mix together.
- Assemble sliders on sheet tray by placing 2 ounces of ham on the bottom half of each roll. Top with pineapple-pepper mixture, Swiss cheese, then place top half of roll on top of cheese.
- Set rolls in cast iron skillet and return to grill for 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese melts. Serve hot.